Louis Comfort Tiffany was always eager to try out new things. Besides his famous glass windows and lamps, he also created vases, enamel pieces, jewelry and ceramics of the highest quality. While the technique of cutting glass was primarily dominant in England, France and Bohemia, Tiffany wanted to master this mostly European craft. He hired Fredolin Kretschmann, a former worker at the famous English glass cutting company Thomas Webb & Sons and started producing his first cameo works around 1892. In the beginning, most of them were created for local museums because they were highly labor intensive and required much precision. Around 1900, there were four employees for glass cutting. Very few cameo-glass vases were created during the production period of Louis Comfort Tiffany and they are highly sought-after by collectors.
Our rare vase bears the motive of the Nasturtium: Five red blossoms, thirty partly green cased and partly translucent leaves and numerous veins surround the vase on an opalescent, iridescent glass body. Everything was cut by hand via wheel. The vase is signed at the bottom with “L. C. Tiffany”, “4891B” (1907) as well as “Favrile”
Bib.: see Louis Comfort Tiffany, Jacob Baal-Teshuva, New York: Taschen, 2001, S. 287; Alastair Duncan, Louis C. Tiffany: The Garden Museum Collection, 2004, S. 245