After the artistic peak in the period around 1900, the First World War represented a turning point in Austrian art history. Architects and designers tried to maintain the Art Nouveau style, while it had long since become obsolete everywhere else. The Wiener Werkstätte lost a large part of its regular clientele to the social upheavals and had to adapt to the new times. A breath of fresh air came from the workshop's ceramics department, which was keen to experiment with the new artistic trends. There were many female artists active who played a key role in the transition from Art Nouveau to Art Deco.
Gudrun Baudisch was one of those pioneers who courageously ventured into the field of Expressionism. This bowl dates back to her early days at the Wiener Werkstätte, of which she had been a member since 1926. The vessel consists of an openwork base with relief ornamentation and a bowl which tapers upwards and has three symmetrical corner edges. The colors are limited to the pastel shades yellow, blue and red. Inside, there are geometric forms that are strongly reminiscent of the Russian avant-garde. The strictness of their form is softened by the flowing colors.
The bowl is not only a sought-after collector's item, it represents a brief phase of artistic and social upheaval that has proved fundamental to the style of the 20th century.
Bib.: Archive of the WW in the Museum of applied Arts in Vienna, genuine photo, inv. nr. WWF 111-33-2.
„KO-Buch“, p. 126, in: Waltraud Neuwirth (ed.), „Wiener Werkstätte. Keramik“, vol. 1, Vienna 1981, p. 267.