The Viennese ceramics workshop A. Förster & Co. was founded in 1899 by Alexander Förster. His marriage with a daughter of the famous glass workshop Stölzle proved quite resourceful for the founding of his own workshop. One year later he was awarded with a silver medal for his ceramics at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900. He also managed to get a Grand Prix and a silver medal for his silver- and leatherware as well as for his pieces of furniture, a big success at such an important international event. Förster also executed several designs by Gustav Gurschner. In 1908, Förster sold his workshop and it was renamed the famous “Wiener Kunstkeramische Werkstätte”.
Our elephant is a beautiful example for Viennese ceramics at the turn of the century. At the Paris World Exhibition he also came to know several other famous manufacturers, among them the famous glass enterprise Loetz-Witwe from Bohemia. The glass shade on this lamp was executed by Loetz. The decoration Phenomen Genre 377 (Lava) was designed 1902 and its marvellous iridescences is displayed quite impressively.
Bib.: “Loetz – bohemian glass from 1880-1940”, Ricke, Ploil; vol. II: paper pattern, no. 85/5135