The German designer and painter Hans Christiansen is, alongside Josef Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens, among the most important designers of the Jugendstil. After his studies at the Munich school of arts and crafts as well as at the Akademie Julian in Paris, he was called upon by archduke Ludwig von Hessen und bei Rhein to work at the Darmstädter Künstlerkolonie (Darmstadt artists’ colony) at the Mathildenhöhe. He was also a lecturer at the Wiesbaden school of arts and crafts.
The design of this lampshade was created by Christiansen for his own house at the Mathildenhöhe called “Villa of Roses”, and was executed in 1901. It is very remarkable that Loetz crafted this shade with the use of cut glass threads which were only used for rare and exclusive objects. Christiansen did not produce a lot of drafts for Loetz; therefore, objects that were designed by him are incredibly rare on the market.
Lit.: shape: “Loetz-Bohemian glass from 1880 to 1940; Volume II:Blueprints, s. 591